London Olympics: The 'Green Magic' of the Games
Compostable Ingeo Foodserviceware enables landfill diversion
- London 2012 Olympic Games
- 11 million people in attendance
- 8,500 tons of solid waste
- London Organizing Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG), commit to making 2012 the very first ‘zero-waste’ Olympic and Paralympic Games, with sustainability at the heart of their vision.
- Compostable Foodserviceware
- Comprehensive waste stream management
- 120 million pieces of packaging
- 14.3 million Ingeo lined paper cups
- 7.5 million heat resistance Ingeo lids
- All responsibly made
- All responsibly disposed of
- Closed loop system, diverting all from landfill
- Support LOCOG in their vision to host the world’s first truly sustainable Olympic and Paralympic Games, leaving a legacy far beyond the departure of the Olympic Flame.
- Reuse, recycle or compost over 90% of Games waste.
Worked with suppliers to bring in the best products to meet LOCOG's requirements
- CountryStyle Group
- Sita UK
|Energy Recovery (tonnes):||3,795|
|% of total waste re-used
recycled and composted:
|% of total waste
diverted from landfill:
waste recycled, reused & composted
landfill diversion rate
Everyone at London Bio Packaging is massively proud to have played our part in delivering what is being called 'the most sustainable Olympics in the modern era.' We are now excited to help other events and organizations go 'zero waste'!
Ingeo Role In Meeting Strategic Objective
Provided a solution to meet LOCOG's specification of compostable heat resistant hot cup lids (CPLA) & Ingeo lined hot cups.
- Ingeo-based food serviceware and packaging products
- Ingenious materials from plants not oil
- 100% annually renewable product
- USDA BioPreferred and Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI) certified compostable
- Continue the sustainability legacy of the Olympic Games by working with key partners noting recognizable waste stream logos (labeling and identification) to insure overall success.
- Build new and strengthen existing partnerships with those involved in the Games Collaborate on sustainable events to promote the work at the Games and legacy post Games.